3) The relationship between the map distance and the corresponding distance on the ground is known as the ________.
You are watching: To represent elevation on maps, cartographers use ________, which are a form of isoline.
11) The scale of "an inch on the map represents two miles on the surface of the Earth" would be CLOSEST to which representative fraction?
16) Most of the maps drawn on ________ projections are for an optimal portrayal of worldwide distributions.
17) You wish to navigate your yacht from Europe to the United States. Which type of map projection would be most useful?
25) The characteristic of projections which portray accurate sizes but distort the shapes of land masses is called ________.
29) In the Mercator projection, which piece of the Earth is portrayed ridiculously large in comparison to its actual size?
36) If one wished to produce a map which focused on the continents and showed little of the world"s oceans, then she/he should use a(n) ________ projection.
49) Which of the following is the acronym for the system of U.S. Department of Defense satellites which are used to establish exact locations on Earth?
55) For the geographer, the new mapping tools like remote sensing, GPS, and GIS are best viewed as ________.
60) In ________ film photography, the photographic film is sensitive to wavelengths longer than visible light.
61) The type of remote sensing which penetrates clouds at night for accurate terrain representation is ________.
65) Aside from normal photographic film, ________ film has proven very valuable for interpretation of Earth resources from airborne cameras.
66) On which type of aerial imagery would a football field of artificial grass be discernible from natural grass?
69) Which of the following bands are NOT used by the Earth-sensing satellites mentioned in the text?
72) The major advantage of orthophotos as compared to regular vertical air photographs is that ________.
80) ________ are multicolored, distortion-free photographic image maps. Displacements caused by camera tilt or differences in terrain elevations have been removed.
86) The most important Earth resources satellite series was started in the 1970s and is known as ________.
87) Satellite data are analyzed in individual pieces representing several to many meters on the Earth"s surface. These pieces are known as ________.
See more: What Is The Best Definition Of A Process Paragraph ?A How To Write A Process Paragraph
103) Which of the following would be used for overlay map analysis where two or more map layers are superimposed or integrated?
104) Geographic information system technology is a direct result of advances in all EXCEPT ________.
105) Which of the following would be a type of application in which a geographic information system would NOT be used?
106) Which of the following choices represents a technology into which the other choices can be used as inputs?