Take the quiz to test your understanding of the key concepts covered in the chapter. Try testing yourself before you read the chapter to see where your strengths and weaknesses are, then test yourself again once you’ve read the chapter to see how well you’ve understood.
You are watching: Which of the following statements is true about qualitative research?
Tip: Click on each link to expand and view the content. Click again to collapse.
PART A: PRINCIPLES AND PLANNING FOR RESEARCH
1. Which of the following should not be a criterion for a good research project?Demonstrates the abilities of the researcherIs dependent on the completion of other projectsDemonstrates the integration of different fields of knowledgeDevelops the skills of the researcher
2. Which form of reasoning is the process of drawing a specific conclusion from a set of premises?Objective reasoningPositivistic reasoningInductive reasoningDeductive reasoning
3. Research that seeks to examine the findings of a muzic-ivan.info by using the same design but a different sample is which of the following?An exploratory muzic-ivan.infoA replication muzic-ivan.infoAn empirical muzic-ivan.infoHypothesis testing
4. A researcher designs an experiment to test how variables interact to influence job-seeking behaviours. The main purpose of the muzic-ivan.info was:DescriptionPredictionExplorationExplanation
5. Cyber bullying at work is a growing threat to employee job satisfaction. Researchers want to find out why people do this and how they feel about it. The primary purpose of the muzic-ivan.info is:DescriptionPredictionExplorationExplanation
6. A theory:Is an accumulated body of knowledgeIncludes inconsequential ideasIs independent of research methodologyShould be viewed uncritically
7. Which research method is a bottom-up approach to research?Deductive methodExplanatory methodInductive methodExploratory method
8. How much confidence should you place in a single research muzic-ivan.info?You should trust research findings after different researchers have replicated the findingsYou should completely trust a single research muzic-ivan.infoNeither a nor bBoth a and b
a: You should trust research findings after different researchers have replicated the findings
9. A qualitative research problem statement:Specifies the research methods to be utilizedSpecifies a research hypothesisExpresses a relationship between variablesConveys a sense of emerging design
10. Which of the following is a good research question?To produce a report on student job searching behavioursTo identify the relationship between self-efficacy and student job searching behavioursStudents with higher levels of self-efficacy will demonstrate more active job searching behavioursDo students with high levels of self-efficacy demonstrate more active job searching behaviours?
d: Do students with high levels of self-efficacy demonstrate more active job searching behaviours?
11. A review of the literature prior to formulating research questions allows the researcher to :Provide an up-to-date understanding of the subject, its significance, and structureGuide the development of research questionsPresent the kinds of research methodologies used in previous studiesAll of the above
12. Sometimes a comprehensive review of the literature prior to data collection is not recommended by:EthnomethodologyGrounded theorySymbolic interactionismFeminist theory
13. The feasibility of a research muzic-ivan.info should be considered in light of:Cost and time required to conduct the muzic-ivan.infoAccess to gatekeepers and respondentsPotential ethical concernsAll of the above
14. Research that uses qualitative methods for one phase and quantitative methods for the next phase is known as:Action researchMixed-method researchQuantitative researchPragmatic research
15. Research hypotheses are:Formulated prior to a review of the literatureStatements of predicted relationships between variablesB but not ABoth A and B
16. Which research approach is based on the epistemological viewpoint of pragmatism?Quantitative researchQualitative researchMixed-methods researchAll of the above
17. Adopting ethical principles in research means:Avoiding harm to participantsThe researcher is anonymousDeception is only used when necessarySelected informants give their consent
18. A radical perspective on ethics suggests that:Researchers can do anything they wantThe use of checklists of ethical actions is essentialThe powers of Institutional Review Boards should be strengthenedEthics should be based on self-reflexivity
19. Ethical problems can arise when researching the Internet because:Everyone has access to digital mediaRespondents may fake their identitiesResearchers may fake their identitiesInternet research has to be covert
20. The Kappa statistic:Is a measure of inter-judge validityCompares the level of agreement between two judges against what might have been predicted by chanceRanges from 0 to +1Is acceptable above a score of 0.5
b: Compares the level of agreement between two judges against what might have been predicted by chance
1. Which research paradigm is most concerned about generalizing its findings?Quantitative researchQualitative researchMixed-methods researchAll of the above
2. A variable that is presumed to cause a change in another variable is called:An intervening variableA dependent variableAn independent variableA numerical variable
3. A muzic-ivan.info of teaching professionals posits that their performance-related pay increases their motivation which in turn leads to an increase in their job satisfaction. What kind of variable is ‘motivation”’ in this muzic-ivan.info?Extraneous ConfoundingInterveningManipulated
Browser not supported
You are using a browser version that is no longer supported by this website and could result in a less-than-optimal experience.
See more: What Does Under Advisement Mean In Court, Access Denied
To ensure full site functionality, please use an alternative web browser or upgrade your version of Internet Explorer.